Sunday, October 18, 2009

Characteristics of an Effective Teacher?

My student teaching experience is in collaboration with a fourth grade classroom in a prominent suburban district. The class I work with has twenty-six students. Three of the students qualify for special education services and seven students receive extra instruction from the gifted and talented teacher. As for my experiences, they vary quite a bit. I have worked in a middle school as a special education paraprofessional, and I have worked in a preschool as an assistant. This is my second degree, and I completed most of my education classes through the weekend program.

An effective teacher needs to be willing to ask questions constantly. These questions could consist of the following: What were the effective and ineffective parts of my lesson? What should I do different next time? How well did the students learn the information? Why did the majority of the class not do well on that test? These questions help to access the effectiveness of my teaching. An effective teacher also recognizes that each class is very different. What might work one year won't the next. To stay effective, teachers need to constantly assess their own teaching methods in relation to the students they have in their classrooms.

Effective teachers need to know the content. A teacher could know all the methods in the world, but if they don't know the content, they are useless. Teachers become more familiar with the content the more they work with the material, which is part of the reason teaching gets easier with more experience. Because teachers need to know the content, it is important for them to continue to take professional development classes to expand their skills.

The best teachers learn to balance their lives with teaching and personal activities. Teaching is a career that could take over your life and create the hazard of burnout. Effective teachers learn to use their time while they are at school. They understand that some work needs to go home, but they can't work all day and night. Effective teachers enjoy activities outside of their professional careers.

After looking over my comments, I know my idea characteristics of effective teaching have changed since starting school. These ideas will constantly change depending on the circumstances. The most effective teachers realize that their thinking will transform. Therefore, effective teachers need open minds to look at new ideas from all angles, and I see that my ideas have started to transform. This is only one transformation with many more to come

5 comments:

  1. Ms. Rose-

    I find your blog about the characteristics of an effective teacher quite enlightening. Just in your last paragraph when you talk about how they have changed since you started school really grabbed my attention. To get into the Education Program, we had to write an essay about how to be an effective teacher and I am not fully to the point where I know all the tricks of the trade. I'm glad to know that these ideas will constantly change and that I am not alone here.

    I also really liked your thoughts about balancing a teaching life and personal life. Sometimes I think people get so career oriented that they forget that they are allowed to have time to themselves where they aren't thinking about school. I think as teachers, it is important for us to remember this with our students. They also have other activities whether it be after-school sports or religion or something else where they don't need to be stressed out with homework everyday. Thank you for reminding me that I can enjoy my own extracurricular activities.

    I also really enjoyed reading about how you feel reflection is important for every teacher, even the veterans. I agree that each day it is good to look at how the day went and determine what you would do better and what things went well. I will remember this as I continue through my courses and start my own student teaching experiences. Thank you for your insight, it will be useful as I continue with my own education.

    -Michel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Rose
    When reading your blog, I felt that it was well rounded. You effectivly put in many different aspects of an effecitive teacher. The three aspects that you incorperated were well chosen and throughout. Asking questions is very important of a teaching. When asking a question most likely you will learn something and when you ask your students a question, you will know if they really understand the information. When looking at your life, it many be very hard to balance the job with the regular life but after a couple years with working at it, I think that it will be very effective. Balance in ones life is benefical because teachers will not get worn-out as fast. When looking at your three effective characteristics of a teacher, they all look to be something that will always have to be looked at. This is part of keeping the energy alive and will make you a better teacher.
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I really like the points you made here. I definitely agree that teachers must be always asking questions; it's the only way you draw conclusions about your teaching, and decide if you need to make changes. I found what you said about balancing personal and professional life very interesting because I think that is something I may personally struggle with when I'm a teacher. I'll need to make sure I am very aware of how I am spending my time.
    Thank you so much for sharing your insights with your readers. It is awesome that we have the technology that allows us to learn from one another in this way! I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Rose

    I strongly agree that reflection and assessment are some of the most important components of an effective teacher. I think that the best teachers consider themselves to be lifelong learners. An effective teacher constantly asks those critical and reflective questions and enjoys studying
    their students.

    I also like how you express willingness to change and grow. I think being a lifelong learner allows us to constantly consider ourselves a "work in progress". I think this concept is linked with the ability to critically evaluate ourselves and our practice. I hope I will still consider myself a "work in progress" when I'm 80!



    Cora

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Abby

    The author of this blog is incredibly relatable. Every point she made seemed valid and relevant to teaching today. I was surprised to read about a prominent school district with a class of twenty-six students. This seems large to me, especially if the school district is well funded. I have no experience in a classroom with gifted and talented students who receive extra time with a different teacher. This seems logical, for it would allow the kids more opportunity to grow and reach their full potential.
    I enjoyed reading the paragraph that discussed questions. It comforted me because I feel like I ask an abnormal amount of questions, and I am not even a teacher yet! Now that I know this is normal and encouraged, I plan on asking questions whenever I feel the need. I will question myself, my colegues and my students. This should help me realize that every class is different and hopefully embrace this.
    At this point in my life, I feel completely overwhelmed by the concept of teaching. Teachers have to know so much! I worry that there is no possible way I will have enough content knowledge to effectively teach a class. This blog helped me realize that it is okay to feel overwhelmed. I will gain knowledge through life, just as anyone does. It is inspirational to learn that teaching gets easier as time goes on. What a relief!
    As I stated earlier, I am overwhelmed at times by the teacher preparation program I am in. I find myself spending hours of my time doing homework and thinking (sometimes panicking) over what is going on in school. Rose’s paragraph addressing a healthy balance of school and play forced me to evaluate my life. I need to prioritize and learn to manage time better so that I have a life outside of school. I pray I learn this skill before I start life as a professional.
    Lastly, I appreciate the idea of teachers having open minds. I am excited for my mind to transform from young lady trying to figure the world out to a strong, professional woman. I am excited to learn new ideas from the kids I teach. I do not know how a teacher could survive in today’s society if she doesn’t have an open mind. Teaching and the ability to have an open mind really seem to go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete