Monday, November 9, 2009

Oh...Middle School Is Right

So far, in almost every aspect of my experience, this student teaching placement feels almost exactly the opposite of my first experience in 4th grade. I haven't felt welcomed at the school by the staff, my cooperating teacher and I don't click as well as my last one did and I often disagree with her instructional strategies, her standpoint about school politics and especially with the way she talks about the students. Finally, the students-they are barely what I expected. You are right, 8th graders seem so much like high school students. Where is the innocence of middle school that I felt? The girls seem so old and the boys so distant. I did spend one class period in a 7th grade classroom and it was more of what I expected middle school to be like. I think it might be that the 8th graders in my school are the kings and queens of the school and act like it.

Ok, so it isn't all bad. I am still in a school and I get to teach really great content-U.S. History. I love the content. The planning seems like a breeze so far. I have to teach the same thing four times a day-which means I get to practice and practice, but plan only once. I do teach a homeroom and a 6th grade Language Arts class, but it hardly feels like the work load and preparation my fourth grade classroom was. But it is already quite monotonous-especially when I have to sit and observe the lesson and not lead it. I enjoy not having to hyper-manage transition times: no hand washing guidance, no potty breaks, no breaks or recess or lunch help and they certainly are not silent in the hallways.

I know I have to keep an open mind-this is only week two. But I cried today. (Thankfully after all the students left for the day.) I taught 7th period and I have some really difficult students. There are two girls, who do not seem interested in learning-in the least-and I tried to get them to stay on task. I got a little too confrontational with them after my attempts at connecting with them failed. They were rude, didn't listen, and yelled in my face. I was trying to stay strong and consistent on my first day of teaching with them to show them that I am about learning and not social hour-and it blew up in my face. I cried because I don't know how to connect with these girls. They are the ones I feel need guidance and a role model the most, but turn away at any glimpse of adult attention or direction it seems. They want to push buttons, I want to use humor and motivation to keep students engaged and focused on the task at hand. But as my husband said-this is my free ticket to try out my ideas and strategies-and it isn't always going to work. I will keep smiling, work on keeping the students engaged and try not take negative interactions with students so harshly.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna,

    I should have read your blog before writing to you this morning about my impending visit. Had I checked in, I would have understood the event you referred to in your e-mail about today's period 7.

    Here's my thinking: If you got out of student teaching without any bumps and bruises (psychically speaking, of course), then you didn't play hard enough. When I get a minute (or 15), I'll write about David, the student who had me in tears MORE THAN ONCE when I was student teaching in fifth grade. Or I could write about Tracy, a student I had during my fifth year of teaching when I was pregnant with Will. I was certain that interacting with her was going to affect Will's personality in some horrible way. It was bad.

    Anyway, kudos to you for finding the girls at their lockers today and letting them know that you were moving forward and expecting the best from them. Brave and professional. Regardless of what happens in class, they heard your message and it will make a difference.

    Thanks for your honest portrayal of life at Field so far. I appreciate the balance of good and bad you offered, even when you were fresh off your first bump & bruise.

    Suzy

    p.s. Isn't it nice to have Rose with us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanna,

    Is your experience going a little better? I find that is has taken me at least two weeks to get used to the age of the students. The planning is way easier, but I haven't implemented my lessons yet. I came in at the end of a unit, so they needed to wrap that unit up before we moved on to the next thing. At least you know that you like US History. I would love to hear an update after another week of experiences.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete