Sunday, September 20, 2009

Is that convex or concave?

In my first week of student teaching, I started teaching mathematics. The first unit was geometry, and my first lesson introduced them to polygons and the difference between convex and concave polygons. I looked over the teacher’s manual and made some changes. In my math methods class, I remembered using many tools to help learn about geometry ideas. I substituted Geoboards for making polygon shapes. The book had the students using straws that were placed together by twist ties.

I started the lesson with math problem review on white boards. Then they completed a short quiz on the information from the day before. After this, we always correct the homework, which takes a good 20 minutes. Once we finally started talking about the new information, I taught the students in a large group, but we only had enough Geoboards to work in pairs. I had them make a convex polygon, and they would hold up the boards for me to see. Then we did the same thing with concave polygons. I felt I was rushing through the lesson because I wanted enough time for them to work on homework. We had changed the schedule that day from 75 minutes of math to 60, and I had plans for 75 minutes.

Since I was moving to quickly through the information, I cut things out, and I didn't go over the information as thoroughly as I could have. The students ended up having 15 minutes to do their homework, and the advanced students that finished didn't have anything to help occupy their time. I learned quickly that the students needed something to do when they finish their work.

The next day as the students entered the room they were given a quiz to see what they remembered from the day before. We didn't have time for math on this day because the schedule was full of other activities, so I brought the quizzes home to assess how they did on the new material. There was a question asking the students to circle the convex polygons, and there were six shapes to choose from. As I correct the quizzes, I found out that only two students understood the material. This was shocking because I thought I did a fairly good job. The comment I remember from my cooperating teaching is that the noise level got high at the end of the period. Of course it got high, the students were done with their work and had nothing to do besides talk with a neighbor.

I am glad I quizzed the students because I took that information and recreated the lesson for the next day. I took a large block of time to draw polygon shapes, and talk about the characteristics of a polygon. Then I drew shapes of convex and concave polygons. At the end, I had the students tell me the answers to the quiz questions. I felt like after the review they actually started to understand the concept.

Every new teacher has surprises when teaching new information for the first time. I was so stressed out about the time that I did an injustice when teaching the material. Sometimes a lesson may have to spew over to the next day, and that is ok. This last week I spent a lot of time reading over the student reference book, so I understand the material well enough to teach it. I was always decent with math, but until now, I couldn't tell you the definition of a polygon, quadrangle, or a parallelogram. Maybe I should have these terms filed away in my brain, but I don't. I am surprised at the amount of information I need to learn to be a successful teacher. After teaching lessons, Ms. R and myself go over the good things and the areas that could improve. My word choice and verbiage are always an area that needs some work. Ms. R has taught for many years, so she knows these terms like she knows her daughter's name. Is it common for new teachers to learn some or a lot of the information before they teach the ideas for the first time? I know if I ever teach a geometry unit again, I will know more of the content.

After teaching for a week, I am making adjustments to the way I prepare for the next week. I am implementing a daily schedule of when I spend time writing lesson plans, preparing for the day, and correcting papers. I also have mandatory personal time in the evening. I have been doing work constantly, and I will not be able to keep up at this pace unless I take some time to myself. As a professional teacher, I will have to find that healthy mix as well, so I better learn to pace myself now. I am also going to adjust my lesson plans, so I can find a way to spend less time creating them yet still have them be effective. As teachers we are always learning, which is probably why so many people love this career. Let's learn on!

3 comments:

  1. First, we must use the same math curriculum (Everyday Mathematics?). I am teaching concave and convex polygons tomorrow and I am starting the lesson with straws and twist ties. I asked about geoboards (because I like using them so much), but only the primary classrooms have them. I thought about borrowing some, but I want to keep my first lessons straighforward and have room for extra reiterations of the content and for me to breathe. Also, the students used the straws and twist ties last week as well and are familiar with them.

    For the advanced students who finish early-do you have the challenge sheets that I think go along with the curriculum? Otherwise, if there are just a few minutes left and they are finished, you could have them read a chapter book. This way they are reading and hopefully not bothering their neighbor who is still working.

    Way to go on modifying your teaching based on assessment! Now that I have actually experienced assessing student understanding, it makes so much more sense to me as a concept. I don't think as teachers we don't yet have the sixth sense of knowing whether or not our students "got" something. I think the hardest thing will be to realize they aren't understanding mid-lesson and have to rearrange plans while you are crunched for time. Flexibility is huge in the classroom I have found out. I guess as teachers we are always changing based on what we are always learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also use Everyday Mathematics. My lesson with the geoboards didn't go as well as it could have. The students were more excited about placing rubberbands on the boards than making the shapes. If I tried to teach it again, I would give them a little time to explore and play with the boards.

    For unit 2, we are going to have the challenge sheets. The fourth grade team was trying to give the stuents a packet with all the sheets from unit 1. It was confusing for the students, and many of the students did not know what to do because some of the sheets were not used. We will try another method for the next unit. Hopefully, it will be more clear for all the students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much learning happening! Like Joanna, I'm struck by the power of your assessment experience. I was just talking to a principal today and we were remarking on how little assessment information we had as undergraduate students. You didn't hear terms like "assessment-informed instruction" or "standards-based teaching" and that was less than 20 years ago!

    Now, the constant talk around education is related to outcomes and "what's your evidence for that?", and yet I'm not sure schools of Education have caught up completely with the need for teachers to think in these ways. Partly that's because Ed. faculty worry that "evidence" always means "quantitative measures of progress/learning", but the truth is, assessment happens in many ways and all the time. So, we're progressing, but the language of assessment always needs to be explored.

    Having said that, your experience reading through kids' math papers and realizing very few students appeared to "get" your lesson objectives was the best opportunity to learn the value of assessment to guide instruction. And you're right when you say teachers don't need to be slaves to a scope and sequence that assumes all kids will learn their lessons at the same pace. That's just ridiculous! Re-teaching is as much a part of good pedagogy as that initial introduction of new material.

    Unfortunately, I think some teachers avoid looking closely at students' work because they know the results will compel them to change their carefully-planned lessons. Believe me, you're not doing your job if you start the week according to plan and finish it as planned. Like playing a basketball game and not getting any fouls, you weren't really playing!

    Do you like all these metaphors?

    When you do your midterm evaluation, you'll see that assessment is one of the areas you need to consider. Your math story is a perfect touchstone for thinking about those assessment questions.

    ReplyDelete