Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Mrs. Summers

Mrs. Summers was my middle school Social Studies teacher. She also taught social studies to all three of my sibblings. Three out of four of us won the school's Geography Bee. My older brother was (and could possibly still be) the only student in the history of our grade school to pass the ridiculously difficult test to make it to the state Geography Bee. He got his first question about a river in Iraq incorrect. We were all shy and studious students who were able to succeed at something in front of a crowd of parents, teachers and classmates. I think we owe our successes to Mrs. Summers. She encouraged us to come out of our shells and try harder at what she knew we were good at and truly enjoyed learning about. She helped us to focus on our strengths, while at the same time understanding the hesitation and insecurities we had about ourselves and our confidence as shy middle school students. She didn't make a big deal out of our winning and embarass us in front of our classmates. She addressed us individually. Mrs. Summers was certainly a no-nonsense kind of teacher, but that didn't hide her heart and her sensitivity to student's emotional needs. She helped me and my sibblings to grow personally by encouraging us-but not forcing or singling us out-to go beyond our comfort level for learning. What I take away from Mrs. Summers as a teacher now is that even though you know a middle-grade student could excel at something and might enjoy it, there are sensitive emotions involved in putting yourself out there and showing confidence in your brain, body and self. A Geography Bee is an extreme example, I know. But some students, instead of you pulling them aside in front of their peers, might appreciate a note on their paper or a book slipped into their desk or homework folder instead. I am glad to note that I did see Mrs. Summers a week before I started my first term at St. Kate's. She gave me a hug when I told her I wanted to be a middle school social studies teacher.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever read anything about "sensitivity to students' needs" in textbooks for education classes? Maybe in relationship techniques? I ask because this is such a subtle art, but so crucial to building trust and community in a classroom.

    I like the lesson you pulled from this story because it helps me see that you already recognize the importance of teaching the child rather than the curriculum. Now that's phrase that I sometimes despise because it can be used to lower academic expectations and give teachers a free pass to "build community" all year long instead forging community through engaging curricular pursuits. Having said that, though, I think kids will follow you almost anywhere if they trust you and sense that you understand who they are (and like them--that's a biggie).

    Another trite phrase that is nonetheless useful to remember: "Kids don't care what you know until they know you care." One reason Mrs. Summers coaxes excellent achievement from students is no doubt related to her interpersonal skills. Glad you had a chance to see her and let her know what you're up to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Middle school students are going through an abundance of changes both physically and emotionally. It is important for teachers to look past the academic goal and to see the student's personal needs. There is a fine line between embarrassing students and giving them the praise they need and are comfortable receiving. I hope to be the teacher that relates to the students and adjusts my curriculum not only for better test scores but also to reach my students on a personal level.

    Suzy, I found your comment interesting. Sometimes teachers need to spend time developing a community instead of just cruising through the curriculum. After spending a few days in the classroom, there is not enough time to complete everything. It would be easy to take out community building activities because the teacher wants to find more time for social studies or health. There really isn't a great solution to include all of these areas in the schedule. I now see the importance of teaching across the curriculum to try to save some time. Hopefully, by using this approach, community building can be done along with teaching non-tested areas like social studies and health.

    ReplyDelete